Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Amazon.com $50 Gift Card (0109)My mother's birthday is this weekend January 29th.  So I posted an event on Facebook (super cool feature) and invited all the siblings.   The best thing about being able to post events is that it takes all the hassle out of trying to figure out which time will work best for everyone.  I have six sisters and one brother, all but two still live close by. Since we all get together regularly for birthdays, holidays and other special occasions Facebook events have been a life saver. 

This is how the scenario started before I remembered about the event feature on Facebook, and typically how we would try to work things out.  My sister Marie texted me to ask what we were doing for Mom's birthday this weekend because she had texted Mom and hadn't gotten a return message yet.  So after several back and forth message's to decide what to do and what day to do it on, I finally decided to call my mom later that day and texted Marie to let her know.

Called my mom later to get everything squared away and she says "well whatever works for everyone else, either Saturday or Sunday."  Then we discuss maybe will we go ice skating, take the whole family, and enjoy the day.  Then think maybe it will be too expensive for some of my siblings that have children to pay for the admission, skate rental and food.  The conversation goes on and on and on.  Finally landing on having people come to Marie's  house (my mom lives a little farther away) so it would be easier to all met there.  Have some cake and ice cream and call it a day. Sounds like a plan to me.

So I preceded to text Marie and ask if her house is okay, let her know what time we were thinking and then I now need to confirm this with 4 more people.  By this time I am exhausted, irritated, really not in the mood to see anyone and can't even remember who's birthday it is.  Why has this become so difficult and how did I get put in charge of this.  So all of a sudden the light bulb flashed over my head, create a Facebook event! I love you Facebook.

So I posted an event on Facebook, stating the time, date and place.  Then made my notes about possibly ordering food, having cake and ice cream.  Also mentioning that if the time did not work for everyone that we could adjust it.  Took me all of 10 seconds and Voila!  Done and done.  The next day my mom calls me and says I thought we were going ice skating! Really!

Too tired to go into another discussion I respond whatever you want Mom, just post your comment on the Facebook event and see what everyone else thinks.  With all this indecisiveness, I was dreading the next question I had to ask "What do you want for your birthday?"  With no hesitation she says " Well an Amazon gift card, so I can buy books for my kindle, of course."

No comments:

Post a Comment